Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Q&A with Adrian Paul

During this year's Comic-Con I was offered an Opportunity to interview Adrian Paul, but due to scheduling conflicts, (I kept missing the emails...). He was gracious enough to consent to an Email Q&A.



  Dave Davis-If the money was right and the rights were there, would you consider reprising
Duncan MacLeod in any kind of an independent film production?

 Adrian Paul-I would always consider it...Macleod was a great character.

DD-Have you ever visited the Forum?
 
AP-Once or twice in the past. Don’t like reading about myself that much.

DD-If you had complete creative control over Highlander. how would you have ended
Duncan's story?
 
AP-I think with any myth you can’t end it. You have to always wonder if he is out 
there ready to come back at any time. That is what always makes great Legends. 
I think he would have had to leave, with or without a woman in his life, 
living some where, some place that he always held  special.

DD-There is Lots of Curiosity about your Latest Project. Can you share anything?
 
AP-I am about to start a film as  Producer and actor in the Motion picture At 
2,15. Currently we have commitments from Nick Nolte, Melanie Griffith and 
Angela Molina. We also have Antonio Banderas’s company doing the music and 
negotiating with other high level talent. My company Filmblips, www.filmblips.com>  is also working on two other films, one is  called FIVE which we are in the middle of shooting a promotional video for.

DD-Who were your Heroes when you were growing up?
 
AP-Spartacus, My dad.

DD-And your fans would like to know who your Martial Arts Idol is?
 
AP-Bruce Lee, when I was growing up. But soccer players were where my true idols were.

DD-What kind of workout routine do you do and, are you keeping your sword skills
sharp?
 
AP-I still study Shaolin martial arts and we do various weapons. One of which is the tai chi sword. However I have been slack in praticing of late.

DD-Who was your favorite Swordmaster?
 
AP-Bob Anderson

DD-What are your thoughts on Peter Wingfield going back to Medical School and
 will you miss working with him?
 
AP-I think it is fantastic for him. I know he will be very happy.

DD-What would it take for you and Stan Kirsch to do a film together?
 
AP-Our paths have changed so much since Highlander and therefore very doubtful that we would work together again as actors, but you never know. I always had fun with Stan.

DD-Is there another Light Comedy in the works?
 
AP- No, except for Basile’s Legacy.

DD-Has becoming a father changed the way he views roles now?? (Anything he won't
do, or now will consider?)
 
AP-There are a few roles that would consider not doing. But being a father hasn’t affected my considerations of the roles I play. Yet. LOL

DD-Do you have any directing projects in the works?
 
AP-The film Basile’s Legacy. information is on my film site www.filmblips.com

DD-How did Duncan hide his katana in a small leather jacket like in various
episodes but it just magically folds out?
 
AP-Like Jim Byrnes said. The sword came from the same place the music did.

DD-Would you consider working with Donnie Yen again?
 
AP-Of course.

DD-Which do you prefer? Producing and directing, or acting? 
 
AP-They are all different. Acting actually is probably the easiest LOL

DD-I heard that you may be interested in doing a Remake of “Don Juan”.  Are you
getting any closer to working on it?
 
AP-No never heard that one

DD-I understand that you will be filming the Chilean mine rescue "Miracle
Underground" with Nia Peeples, a reunion of sorts with a Highlander Alum, and
that you are scheduled to appear in "Deauville" a movie that will be heavily
character driven instead of action based, and featuring several beautiful
 actresses. What's it about, is it set in a French resort?

AP-I am not sure if Deauville is ever going to happen since it was supposed to work two years ago. I haven’t heard anymore about the project in that time. Projects are tricky. Many appear and only a few actually  make it all the way to completion.

DD- You have been a leading man and the star, and you’ve played supporting roles.
What are the different demands on you as an actor? Do you think playing both
 kind of roles assist you in directing?
 AP-Supporting roles are easier because you just go in and do your job. Having the leading role means you have to concentrate on a lot more things. Demands from production companies/producers are greater too. Of course they would be, you are the face of the film.  There are so many more things you have I think about as a director and these are but one of them. Having done both I think it will help in the directing jobs I will do.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the interview, AP gave me the heads up on Facebook and came down here. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thought of Duncan Macleod saying "LOL" is a weird one...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work, Dave...(and 2 of my questions were used...Yay!!!). Great interview.

    ReplyDelete