Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Finest Man I've Ever Known




In 1977 I attended my first San Diego Comic Con at the El Cortez Hotel as a Volunteer for Security under Gene Henderson. I had a great time helping out and meeting all kinds of great people. After the Con was over I was invited to attend a meeting of the Members of the Board of Directors where I first met Shel Dorf. When I was introduced, Shel complimented me on my help structuring the security system so everyone could have a chance to attend the panels and see the programs they wanted. He invited me to join this small group of Fans to help out planning the next convention.
Fast forward to 1979 and the Con at the old Downtown Convention Center. I was still helping out with Security and where ever else I was needed. I was helping set up for the Celebrity Art Auction when we were informed that our Celebrity Auctioneer wasn’t there. I asked what we should do and who can replace him. Someone pointed at me and said, “You do it”!
I said, “Huh? Who me? What am I supposed to do?” I spotted Shel and told him the dilemma and asked him what to do.
He said, “You need to go ask the artists to come up and draw something for the fans.”
I was full of bluster and bravado when it came to the fans, but the artists kind of intimidated me a little since I had been reading comics since I was six years old and they were like Gods to me. Shel put his hand on my shoulder and said to me, “Just talk to them and never be afraid to ask them anything.”
After that day I ceased being a giggling Fan Boy and started making friends with the people I had admired and respected for so long. By talking to them I learned a lot about how they did things and got to hear some great stories from people like Jack Kirby, Rick Hoberg, John Romita, (Jr and Sr), Scott Shaw! and a hundred or more others.
In 1980 I asked Shel if he would be my best man at my wedding to my wife Kathy and was so proud and pleased when he said yes. On August 2nd, 1980 Kathy and I were married in the U.S. Grant Hotel during the 1980 Con. On that day Shel became more than a friend, he became a brother. Even after I had moved on from the Convention I always remembered Shel fondly. I really miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment